Wednesday, July 09, 2003

songs to calm a worried soul
.............
sunday evening i went to the parking lot in front of the miller theatre (mentioned in a previous entry about my conversation with Johnny Carr) I was beginning to feel pretty discouraged about the whole prospect of ever being able to open my shop..much less to be able to have it in such a fabulous place as that theatre. i felt pretty inadequate as far as experience goes, and we all know i have zilch as far as being financially prepared...or in any business sense prepared.
so..i was thinking about those things...and knowing that i needed to just..get over myself and trust that God would bring everything together...but you know how hard we humans are to convince...
about this time, i looked up at the theatre again, and a bird landed on the awning, then hopped off into the middle of the road, up on the rail to the parking lot, and onto the side of the fountain. the following immediately got stuck running through my head.

His Eye Is On the Sparrow
Words: Civilla D. Martin, 1905

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain
...............

last night i was very anxious about my interview..and was waiting on a cup of coffee to brew and for my mom to call me back. i wandered through my grandmother's living room and looked on the piano to see what hymn she'd been playing. the hymnal was open to Be Still My Soul.
i softly sang through the whole thing and was struck by how fitting it was to exactly what i've been feeling lately...
the following is only stanzas 1 and 2, as 3-5 didn't feel as applicable to me here and now...why take up any more space than i need?

Be Still My Soul
Words: Katharina A. von Schlegel
translated from German to English by Jane L. Borthwick

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

No comments: