Friday, September 04, 2009

swbts (“swibbits”) ..so far

class taking:
though not “the student” in our family, I have started a few classes. I'm temporarily/permanently a member of the handbells group. Temporary...because if/when I get a job, odds are I wont be able to rehearse with the group anymore on tuesday and thursday afternoons. Permanent...because the director likes me so much, she hopes i'd still be able to ring concerts with the practices we've already had behind us...even after I get hoped-for job.
I'm also in the “wife of the equipping minister” class. A class which meets on tuesday nights geared toward new ministry student's wives. It covers many aspects of being in a ministry family...from personal relationship and time with God...to caring for your family...to hosting church family....and on and on. It is taught by the school president's wife. I really feel as though I “get” her (she's more organized than me!). And I also feel very blessed to be able to learn from her life experiences. We have to give a 3-5 minute presentation about something I know how to do and how it relates to ministry life. I'm thinking of doing it on rearranging furniture, actually. Its something i've used a lot when I really want to change my home but cant afford to buy new things. It also helps when you're moving to a new place....so you know where the big furniture goes before you get there...so it doesn't have to be moved around with all the other unpacking. Totally helpful for students wives in small spaces with small budgets! (thanks mom, for teaching me about graph paper models!)
I had also intended to join the Masters Chorale as a community member...but they meet on Monday nights...and so far every monday night for the past 2 or 3 weeks i've been feeling kind of yucky with pregnancy stuff...so mike's had to join that without me. i'm okay with it. I'd rather start off this way, instead of getting into the group, paying for music, and then finding myself not feeling up to concerts down the way.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
church hunting
last night there was a fair on campus to introduce new students and their families to several area churches. Free chic-fil-a and a lot of information about churches..which is good, because in our three weekends here, we have honestly run out of churches we could find on our own! Its not that there is a shortage of churches, it just feels like they are a little more hidden around here. I'm glad to be armed with some information on some of these before we enter their doors. Maybe I wont be so full of questions as we visit these...and can pay more attention to what is actually going on...instead of wondering if its even an SBC church and what sort of activities they have and so on.
Tomorrow night at the RAC (recreation and activities center...aka..the gym) there is a meet and greet sort of thing with swbts members of an area reformed sbc church which a friend of mine (from handbells) is a part of. I've got the most information on their church...probably because holly gave me a big handful of their stuff as soon as she saw me at the fair:) i'm particularly interested in meeting this congregation,. That little presbyterian part of me is very interested in it! We'll see, through.
People at the different church booths kept asking us “what are you looking for in a church?” and my answer is simply “the place where God wants us.” can't think of any better reply...because that's it. Truth in teaching and practice is a must...but size is variable. Music style is variable...as long as its where God wants us. Honestly, I have to be careful not to let those personal preferences get in the way of what God might be leading us to. I don't want to just be comfortable someplace...i want us to be challenged to be a bit uncomfortable if it is necessary to be in God's will.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I remember when I got to WCC I ended up going to FBC since it was the only church we had previewed during the BSU weekend that I could remember how to get to (our preview weekend included a number of churches in Petal and the old Main Street which wasn't easy to find).

(Of course it was only a few months before I got the job at Main Street and had to find it again!)

Ethan, Brandy and Ryleigh said...

Sounds like you are embracing the seminary wife role! Ethan and I don't live on campus at Golden Gate so I've found it harder to connect here. Also, Ethan arranges his classes so that he is only on campus one day a week. I keep saying that I am going to take that Tuesday night class here---now with a baby on the way, I don't know if I will have a chance. I'm enjoying reading your blog and all your seminary/baby updates! hope you guys find the church that God has for you soon!